Sunday, February 8, 2009

More FAQ's

So yes, we do get questions all of the time from people wanting to get into photography. I'll try and post some Q and A's of the most frequently asked as well as other things I see many people saying- particularly on forums and such.

My friends say I should get into photography, where should I begin?

First of all, your friends should NEVER EVER be the reason for getting into a business. A business takes SO much time, effort and money. This needs to be something you are really passionate about and you should know that you have to approach this as a business person.


Well, I really love taking pictures, so I want to start my own photography business.

I'm sorry to sound so direct, but everybody "loves taking pictures". Have camera, will start business" should be the new saying. Now I don't mean it's not possible, but to like picture-taking is completely different than owning a business. You HAVE to stand out, you HAVE to know business, marketing and sales, and you will quickly stop your love of taking pictures. Don't get me wrong, I still love photography, of course, but not the way I used to. Even though I only spend about 10% of my business actually behind the camera, "taking pictures" turned from a fun hobby to something I only do when I am working. I never even take snapshots of my children anymore. It's actually a little sad sometimes!

I'll make it, I'm determined.

That is wonderful, and yes it can certainly be done! But I will be 100% honest, I had that attitude as well and I can say now that if I wasn't doing this with my husband, I would probably already be one of the 95% that fail in the first 5 years. If not already, I definitely would have eventually.


It's really not that hard, is it?

The biggest misconception is that it is not hard. Little money to put in, you snap decent pictures, and that is it. If you read all the info I spent hours putting into this blog, you will see HOW much goes into this. Once you decide to make your enjoyable hobby a business, it takes on a completely different meaning. COMPLETELY. Many times people don't take words of advice and learn on their own, but eventually, they WILL learn that! Even if I didn't spend the thousands of dollars I spent to start my business, it still takes thousands to run it. As shown in my "Costs of running a business" post, you'll see some of my expenses. I have to make at least $100,000 just to cover my expenses. No it's not all business expenses, but if my business can't handle all of my expenses with extra money for me and my family, what the heck is the point?!



I can just price myself lower because my husband pays the expenses. I want people to be able to afford me.


100% without a doubt a set up for failure. You will not be taken seriously by photographers or customers. Unless you want volume and have the means to market well, hire employees to help out, and don't undercut the business, you will burn out doing tons of work for little to no money and really- what the heck would be the point?! I mean, really?! Cheap portraits are what Walmart, Sears, JCPenney's, and Picture People are for. Professional photography is a PROFESSION. An elite service to provide quality by someone who is very familiar with their equipment, lighting, and running a business. There's no other way around it.

Anyone who decides to start any type of "business" because they "enjoy" it and don't actually need to make much money doing it and then charge low prices to try to gain clients and/or take clients away from established professionals who depend on that income to take care of their families are doing a disservice to EVERYONE.

No comments: