Sunday, November 30, 2008

Pros & Cons of a Business

So what are the pros and cons of having a business? Well, in the beginning (and we are still in the beginning) For us, it is the following:

PROS:
- Set my own hours
- All the possibilities
- Doing something I love & am good at

Doesn't seem like a lot, does it?! You'd be surprised.

CONS:
- No time with my family anymore. If I am home, I am working
on the computer. My poor kids have to hear "not right now, I have
a lot of work to do" very often.
- Working SO much, and so long, yet still being broke
- All the overhead costs & debt that has accumulated.
- The hobby I once enjoyed is nothing but work
- 3 years of learning the technical side of photography,
and 4+ years and counting learning the business side.
- Trying to get new clients. This is VERY hard believe it or not.
3 years of business- I've had very little clientele. Many people
find themselves in that boat. They usually eventually just try
and get clients with a low price. This is obviously the worst thing
you could ever do. All that work with little to no pay? No thank
you. This is why becoming a marketing guru is extremely important. If
you sit back and wait for them to come, you'll be waiting forever.It takes
years to build a good clientele.

It's a lot of work for just two people. If I was doing this on my own as I had intended in the beginning, I would be long gone. I would've failed already.

No comments: